I have been traveling quite a bit in the last few years and it seems as if the world has been getting â€œsmallerâ€. Â I find myself constantly
having â€œsmall world momentsâ€. You know that moment when you are sitting in a hostel with a fellow Canadian and you realize you have the same friend? Â It has been happening to me so much so lately that I have decided to start making a list and writing it all down. Each time it happens (or when I remember one I forgot) Iâ€™ll add it to the list. Feel free to comment below to tell me about yours! :)
- In August 2009 I was fairly new to the twitter scene and had been following @nomadicmatt. We had written back and forth to each other a few times but that was about it. At the end of the month I was heading to Spain for La Tomatina and I knew he was too but that was all.
I arrived in Valencia on a Monday afternoon and that night I was in the hostel partying at the bar when I turned around and thought I saw a familiar face. I looked at the guy and said â€œMatt?â€ and he looked at me and said â€œCailin Oâ€™Neil!â€ In all the hostels and hotels in all of Valencia during one of their busiest weeks of the year where 40,000+ people visit for La Tomatina Festival not only had I ran into this traveling American I randomly met online but he was staying at the same hostel as me! Then again 2 days later in the middle of the largest food fight in the world amongst the 40,000+ people squeezed in the small town of BuÃ±ol streets we saw each other again.
- In February 2010 I traveled to Fiji where I met Hanna from Sweden who was also traveling around. Later that March Hanna traveled through Australia and finally returned home to Sweden in April. In May I visited her in Sweden and while visiting her she said to me â€œYou said you were from Halifax right? I think I met a girl from there when I was in Australia.â€ I didnâ€™t know her but we pulled her up on facebook and I had 10 friends in common with her.
- This one isnâ€™t â€œas farâ€ of a long shot but for it all to happen within a 10 hour period makes it crazy. In May I went to Newfoundland for the first time ever to party and hang out with @candicewalsh. Within my first hour there we were walking down the street in St. Johnâ€™s headed to Signal Hill and we passed a guy sitting on the on the sidewalk with his head down reading a book. I did a double take as he looked familiar, I told Candice I thought I knew him but thought it couldnâ€™t be him and kept walking.
As Candice and I hung on for dear life walking along the pathway on the side of Signal Hill at the narrows a group of people walked passed us going the other direction. As I saw them coming one of the guys again looked familiar and I said to him â€œAre you Drew?â€ and it turns out it was this guy I went to University with and had traveled on a University trip to France with before. It was his first time ever in Newfoundland as well, just doing the touristy thing like me. I realized he knew the guy I thought I had just seen and asked if he was living in Newfoundland and Drew told me that he was and that was probably him. So that is two people I knew within 1 hour in a city Iâ€™ve never been.
Later that night Candice and her roommates held a keg party. One of Candiceâ€™s roommates had a friend who showed up with 11 guys from Halifax. I had actually met one of them before in Halifax and I had friends in common with at least 3 or 4 others.
- When I flew to Australia in February 2010 there was a guy I went to high school with on my flight from Toronto to Vancouver. Another time I was flying to London and a different guy that I went to high school with was on my flight.
- Whenever I visit Toronto I always run into someone from home, without fail. Every. Single. Time.
- July 2010 through twitter I met Celeste Brash of Lonely Planet and saw that she was visiting Halifax, Nova Scotia updating a guide book so we met up for dinner. While chatting I noticed she was wearing a pearl necklace and I asked if it was Tahitian as she lives in Tahiti. It reminded me of a Tahitian pearl necklace that I had bought an ex-boyfriend many years before. We got to talking about it and it turns out that I had bought the necklace from her husbands pearl farm in Tahiti in January of 2007.
- In September 2010 on a random road trip I found myself in a bar called Baba’s in Charlottetown, PEI and I saw a friend that I work with in Halifax in the bar who was randomly in PEI as well.
- In September 2010 I volunteered at the first Canadian Surf Film Festival and while volunteering I made friends with a girl from the West Coast and when we added each other on Facebook we found out that we had a friend in common that I grew up going to school with but she had met him out west.
Please share your stories of small world encounters too!