In my opinion the 54 on Bath hotel is hands down the best hotel in Johannesburg, South Africa. However I will preface that with the fact that I have admittedly only stayed in a few hotels in the city, but out all of all of them 54 on Bath was the very best.
I’ve written about 54 on Bath before and I enjoyed it so much this time, on my second stay, that I have decided to write a “8 Things I Love About 54 on Bath” list to share my love for this hotel with you.
1. The beds. With out a doubt one of the most important things to making a hotel great. Not only are the beds at 54 on Bath large and comfy but they also come with a pillow menu for you to try out until you get the right one so that you have the best sleep possible. I also love the beds because they are high up and you kind of feel like a little kid again jumping into them at night.
2. Location, location, location. Located in the Rosebank neighbourhood of Johannesburg the hotel is easily reachable by Gautrain from the airport in under 30minutes. Once you arrive at the station you can walk two blocks to the hotel or arrange a complimentary transfer with the hotel.
The hotel is also attached to the Rosebank Mall a high end shopping mall and is surrounded by many great restaurants and clubs.
3. The hotel also has a nice outdoor space. Located off of the restaurant on the fourth floor, safe and private is a nice grassy area, patio and pool. Perfect to enjoy on a sunny afternoon.
4. The best in room amenities. Aside from the typical hotel mini bar, robe, slippers, laundry bag and safe each room also features an included single serving coffee maker, and a selection of teas, complimentary nuts and candy. Also there is the bonus of a turn down service each night that comes with a treat.
5. The hotel also features artwork in the hallways and rooms. From large paintings to gorgeous nature photographs and street scenes from the city. The property is also located not to far from the Johannesburg Art Gallery.
6. Amazing afternoon tea. On my previous stay I hadn’t gotten to enjoy the hotel’s afternoon tea but this time I was happy that they were able to squeeze me in. To enjoy afternoon tea in the lobby you must arrange it with the front desk by 10:30am the day of and the tea will last from 3:30pm to 5:30pm in the lobby area.
Reasonably priced for the amount of tea and food that you are served, I actually didn’t eat lunch before hand to make room for it and then I was so full I didn’t need dinner either. The tea came with what you would expect, cucumber, roast beef and salmon sandwiches, scones with cream and jams, and a variety of desserts as well as warm quiche and a few other tasty treats. Delicious.
7. Tasty food. Aside from afternoon tea and lobby bar, the hotel also has a restaurant that serves one of the best hotel breakfasts I’ve ever had with lots of fruit, organic yogurts and more as well as, lunch and dinner in their restaurant called “Level Four” and it also features a Champagne bar.
8. The staff. 54 on Bath is the kind of hotel where they go out of their way to make you feel special. Almost everyone addresses you by name and always greets you with the biggest smile. I’ve actually never stayed at a place where the staff went out of their way so much to make my stay as enjoyable as possible.
If you ever happen to be visiting Johannesburg whether you are there for a week or just passing through be sure to check out 54 on Bath, even if its just to enjoy a meal or an afternoon tea. You won’t regret it.
Special thanks to 54 on Bath for having me. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own as always.